Black Dog Yoga’s Teacher Training and Deeper Studies Program at the 200-hour and 300-hour Levels …the only training in LA that offers YOU a teaching slot as soon as you graduate…
The Art of Teaching Yoga
with Sigrid Matthews, Jenny Brill and Margaret Buckley
To offer a safe and fun environment for students and aspiring teachers to deepen their understanding of the philosophy of yoga, energy anatomy, meditation, therapeutics and the various styles and approaches to the physical discipline of yoga. Our Level I 200-hour training gives you the tools to be confident in the room and teach a well-rounded mixed level class. Our Level II 300-hour training is personalized and geared to your specific needs as a professional teacher. In both trainings, our aim is to nurture each individual’s interests in the process of spiritual evolution. We encourage our prospective teachers to follow their hearts and develop their own voices.
Testimonials Read what our past graduates have to say about our training…
200-hour Teacher Training and Deeper Studies
Begins Friday, February 6th, 2015
Module 1 - Deeper Studies
Module 2 - Teaching Practicum
See the flyer
If you are seeking to deepen your yoga practice, heal your body and transform your life, our program provides a complete overview of how and why yoga works. Black Dog Yoga offers a unique Teacher Training and Deeper Studies program that encourages you to develop a practice that fits who you are, and where you are in your life now. Our well-balanced curriculum covers the physical aspects – learning precise alignment and safe teaching of the poses – as well as yoga philosophy and the energetic anatomy system. If you are interested in a teaching career, our program meets all the requirements of the Yoga Alliance. On completion of the program you will earn your 200-hour RYA certification. If you would like to deepen your understanding of yoga on all levels, but do not wish to pursue teaching, we offer the first module as a Deeper Studies program. Part of what makes our training special is our faculty. All our faculty are RYT 500, and have taught hundreds of students for many years. Each faculty member has studied several different styles of yoga, other bodywork modalities like massage, fitness, and hands-on-healing, and has in-depth knowledge of yoga therapeutics. Moreover, all our faculty members have created their own unique and successful style of teaching, and are personable, committed and compassionate. Each weekend includes:
- Break down and analysis of the poses and how to teach them safely
- Trouble-shooting your personal issues, injuries and misalignments
- Yoga philosophy and Yoga Sutras
- Guided meditation
- The Chakra system
- Pranayama (breathing) techniques
- Anatomy of the body as it relates to your yoga practice
- Teaching techniques
300-hour Professional Level Teacher Training and Deeper Studies:
We have all heard the stories about how yoga can wreck your body; it has been all over the news. The blame has been directed towards under-educated teachers. So, the question becomes, how can YOU educate yourself further to create a safe environment for your students and make yourself stand out as a teacher? Advance your studies. We all know that knowledge is power. Information is key – really having a deeper understanding of anatomy, being mentored by a senior teacher you trust and admire, and filling up your tool kit with as much information on yoga you can get.
With Black Dog Yoga’s Level II 300-hour Advanced Teacher Training, we have a proven way to offer you all of that. Black Dog Yoga’s 300-hour Professional Level Comprehensive Program qualifies the individual for Yoga Alliance Registration at the 500-hour level when combined with a prerequisite Level I 200-hour program (please note, that while it is encouraged to take the BDY Level 1 200-hour program, a comparable 200-hour program will suffice to enroll in our Level II TT). Black Dog Yoga’s Level II Teacher Training program has been designed in an executive format to afford the individual as much flexibility as possible in terms of scheduling and career direction. The course offers both a comprehensive and in depth study of philosophy, anatomy, yoga practicum, Sanskrit, energetic anatomy, and yoga therapeutics to ensure meeting the Yoga Alliance standards for the esteemed 500-RYT certification. We also offer the unique opportunity to create a business plan that fits your individual needs and goals, which will help you advance to the next level of professional development. We are committed to helping you clearly define the yoga career you envision for yourself and helping you to create opportunities for making that vision a reality!
- Are you feeling burnt out and in a teaching rut?
- Are you ready to take the next step in your teaching evolution?
- Do you need help defining and refining your teaching style?
- Do you want expert critiquing and guidance to help you become a better teacher?
- Afraid to work with certain types of students?
- Avoid adjusting student’s alignment because you’re “just not sure”?
- Making less money than you thought teaching yoga?
- Do you want to go to the next level, but just aren’t sure how to get there?
- Do you feel like you could have a more professional presentation?
- Are you second guessing what you do know?
- Do you want more training, but are worried you won’t have the time to fit it into your already hectic schedule?
- Do you need CEU’s to keep your current Yoga Alliance requirements?
300 hour Level II Professional Curriculum:
- Develop ability to teach multi-levels in a general classroom setting
- Learn how to troubleshoot poses with confidence
- Start applying gained knowledge immediately in your classes
- Know the latest and safest alignment principles
- Work confidently with special needs population (hip/knee/back surgery, pregnancy, depression/anxiety, geriatric, etc.)
- Clear grasp on yoga history and philosophy
- Ability to teach theme oriented classes and workshops
- Develop workshops
- Write yoga articles
- Develop specific programs outside of a normal classroom setting
- Stand out as a unique teacher
300–hour Level II Program Application Continuing Education Units: Those teachers and/or students looking to deepen their studies may choose to participate in the 300-hour program workshops on individual weekends without enrolling in the full 300-hour mentorship program. Weekends will be priced individually and CEU’s can be accumulated by those individuals looking to keep their Yoga Alliance Certification up to date.
Twice per year, in the Fall and Spring.
How many times do you offer the Level II TT and what does it entail?
Level II is ongoing for one year, or until you accumulate the required hours. You can join anytime! You can sign up for the full course or do it by module. There are three modules: Sigrid Matthew’s Anatomy Academy, Mentorship, and Workshops.
What is the cost of Level I?
$2,950 for the Full Program, or $1,300 for the Deeper Studies Module $1,650 for the Teaching Practicum (must do Deeper Studies first) Monthly Payment Plans for the Full Course: $1,100 in 3 payments, or $600 in 6 payments. (no 9 or 12 pay option).
What is the cost of Level II?
$3,650 for the Full Program, or $1,997 for the Anatomy Academy Module, or $1,400 for the Mentorship Module, or $500 for the Workshop 12-pack Module. Monthly Payment Plans for the Full Course: $1,340 in 3 payments, or $700 in 6 payments, or $485 in 9 payments, or $380 in 12 payments.
Are there fee reductions?
There are no fee reductions at this time, but there are scholarships available. Ask us for details.
What does mentoring entail?
The mentorship program consists of 90 contact hours within the Practicum and Teaching Methodology categories with our Key Faculty. Mentors include head of teacher training Sigrid Matthews and Jenny Brill. How long is the Level I TT? It runs about two and a half months.
How many weekends is Level II?
Level II is ongoing with 12 weekend workshops over the course of one year.
What information will be covered in the Level II weekend workshops?
All workshops will either be taught or assisted by our key instructors Sigrid Matthews, Jenny Brill and Margaret Buckley, along with visiting teachers. Many of our weekend workshops will also be taught by special guest instructors to be announced.
- Yin Yoga, Chakra work, Restorative Yoga & Meditation
- Pre- and Post-Natal Yoga
- Sanskrit, Yogic Philosophy and The Bhagavad Gita
- Therapeutics and Yoga
What days do you meet for Level I?
We meet on Friday nights from 5:30p till 9:00p and on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30a till 5:00p.
What books are required and/or suggested for Level I, Deeper Studies, and Level II? Required for Level I & Deeper Studies:
- How Yoga Works by Michael Roach and Christie McNally
- Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon, and Daniel DiTuro
- The Heart Of Yoga by T. K. V. Desikachar
- Chakra Balancing Kit by Anodea Judith
- The Concise Book Of Muscles by Chris Jarmey
Required for Level II:
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- Inside The Yoga Sutras by Reverend Jaganath Carrera
- Awaken – Inside Yoga Meditation by Reverend Jaganath Carrera
- Bhagavad Gita translated by Eknath Easwaran
- Upanishads translated by Eknath Easwaran
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika translated by Brian Dana Akers
Suggested further reading:
- Yoga For Dummies by Georg Feurstein and Larry Payne
- Living Your Yoga by Judith Lasater
- Chakra Balancing by Anodea Judith
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- Musculoskeletal Anatomy Coloring Book by Joseph E. Muscolino
- The Yoga Practice Guide by Bruce Bowditch
- The Essential Yoga Sutra: Ancient Wisdom for Your Yoga by Michael Roach and Christie McNally
- Yoga: Discipline Of Freedom translated by Barbara Stoller Miller
- The Tree Of Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar
- Yoga Gems edited by Georg Feurstein
- Teaching Yoga by Donna Farhi
- Anatomy Of The Spirit by Carolyn Myss
- Why People Don’t Heal And How They Can by Carolyn Myss
The core faculty are three of the senior E-RYT 500 teachers at Black Dog Yoga: Sigrid Matthews, Jennifer Brill and Margaret Buckley.
For more information:
Please email our teacher training administrator, Terecita “Ti” Mahoney at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (818) 380-0331